Let us introduce you to Allotment 72 – WISH’s very own plot that we have just taken over. Last Saturday, a group of hardy souls braved the wind and the freezing January conditions to make ourselves acquainted with our new space.
We do not call ourselves experts by any means but we are keen to learn and with enthusiasm we hope to produce wonders over the coming months and years. Our team is led by Sarah, whose knowledge of plants, soil and weeds is incredible. She has even dismissed the girly stereotype by posing with her new friend, worm.
The allotment was previously ran by a fellow Wi’er, who left it in great condition with handy raised beds (Thanks Michelle!). Even so, we have great plans:
- We hope to grow a selection of seasonal fruit/vegetables and flowers – There’s a good possibility that some of these may find their way into some WISH Jams & Chutneys too!
- We have a designated Children Section – Our very own Tot’s plot will provide the gardeners of the future with a place to dig, get messy and learn to grow.
- A sunflower growing competition – for the young gardeners and the not-so young gardeners!
- We aim to grow organically, wherever possible avoiding the use of pesticides
- We also aim to be Bee Friendly Gardeners following guidance from the British BeeKeepers Association.
- Our biggest challenge may be the size of our plot so we intend on using as much of the available height space as possible.
We welcome as many people who WISH to get involved as possible – the more, the merrier. Any tips for successful growing are greatly appreciated, as are any donations of seeds, plants and/or equipment. We hope for our allotment to be a space to learn, make friends, relax and have fun.